We are delighted to invite applications for two University-funded PhD scholarships (+3), commencing in October 2022. One is available to International applicants and one is restricted to UK residents.
UBDC’s mission is to be an international centre-of-excellence in the research use of digital footprint data and associated analytical technologies to address the challenges of urban planning, development and management. Working with a supervisory team from the Centre, the successful students will develop projects aligned with this mission. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a keen interest in developing advanced skills in quantitative or data-driven social research, and in applying these to real-world urban policy problems.
Aim and Benefits of DUBC Postgraduate Scholarship
The scholarship is available as a +3 programme only. The programme will commence in October 2022. The funding includes:
- An annual stipend at the UKRI rate
- Fees at the standard home rate or international rate (funding will support one scholarship at the International rate and the other at the Home rate)
- Students can also draw on a Research Training Support Grant, usually up to a maximum of £750 per year
Requirements for DUBC Postgraduate Scholarship Qualification
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria
- They should have a good first degree (2.1. or higher) in an appropriate discipline including, but not limited to: social sciences, economics, geography, computing science, statistics or environmental sciences.
- They should be able to demonstrate quantitative or data-driven research skills appropriate to their level of qualification.
- They should be able to demonstrate an interest in and appreciation of the challenges of urban social science research.
Please note that all applicants must also meet the entry requirements for the Urban Studies, PhD.
Interview date, Process and Venue for DUBC Postgraduate Scholarship
Applications will be assessed by the project team. Shortlisted applicants will be requested to attend a remote (online) Interview.
Documents Required for Application
Applicants must apply via the Scholarships Application Portal, uploading the following documentation:
- UBDC PhD Scholarship application form (in Word format)
- Academic transcripts (All relevant Undergraduate and Master’s level degree transcripts (and translations, if not originally in English) – provisional transcripts are sufficient if you are yet to complete your degree).
- 2 references (where possible your references should include an academic familiar with your work. Both references can be from academics but you may include a work reference, especially if you have been out of academia for more than 5 years).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (academic where applicable).
May 16, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Urban Big Data Center (UBDC) on www.gla.ac.uk to apply
All scholarship awards are subject to candidates successfully securing admission to a PhD programme within the Urban Studies subject area of the School of Social and Political Sciences. Successful applicants will be invited to apply for admission to the relevant PhD programme after they are selected for funding.
Find out more, including full details on how to apply, on the University of Glasgow website.
For more details, click here